Welcome to the online presence of the Catholic community of Bearwood, near Birmingham. We strive to follow Our Lord Jesus Christ as disciples in mission, to remain faithful to the teaching of His Apostles and to be obedient to His command to “do this in remembrance of me”. We want to be witnesses to the love God has for our world through the death and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ, and the new life He offers to all in the Holy Spirit.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.”– The Gospel of Matthew, chapter 28, verses 19 & 20
“Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ‘This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’”– The Gospel of Luke, chapter 22, verse 19
Update: Weekday masses will also be resuming. Due to the limited places on Sundays, do consider coming to church in the week – the Sunday obligation to attend mass has been relaxed at this time.
In line with the government and diocesan recommendations, there will be some differences to the way we celebrate mass here at St Gregory’s Church.
The main and important ones are as follows:
- If you are a person who is more vulnerable to the effects of Covid-19 (especially those who are over 70 yrs old) it is recommended that you refrain from attending mass for the time being, for the safety of yourselves and others. While you will be most welcome to attend, it will be at your own risk.
- If you (or someone in your household) has symptoms associated with Covid-19 (new and persistent cough, temperature or loss of taste or smell) we ask that you refrain from attending mass for the time being, for the safety of yourselves and others.
- We encourage you to bring face masks to reduce the risk of communicating the virus.
- You will be required to sanitise your hands on entering and exiting the Church building.
- The capacity of the church has had to be limited to an absolute maximum of 80 people in various seating configurations. Please be patient as stewards will be directing people to their seats.
- Those receiving communion will be directed forwards by a steward in order to maintain appropriate social distancing.
- The church will be cleaned after each mass and we ask that it be vacated as soon as possible after the dismissal for that purpose.
Many of the volunteers are primarily attendees of the 9 o’clock mass. Without the usual channels of communication at church it has been hard to make contact with everyone who might want to help out. We would ask if you feel able to volunteer and are not in a vulnerable category that you contact Father Cownley. We are required to have people to steward and clean at each mass and it’s important that each congregation can sustain the safety measures themselves. Visit the Get Involved page to see how you can do just that. There is also information on how you can join our readers lists.
A Prayer for Our Parish
Pour out your spirit upon us,
And on the people of this parish, and grant us,
A new vision of your glory,
A new experience of your power,
A new faithfulness to your word,
And a new consecration to your service,
That your love may grow among us,
And your kingdom come;
Through Christ Our Lord.
Streamed Masses from St Chad’s Cathedral
If you are unable to attend mass over the coming weeks and months, you can stream Mass live from many locations around the country and the world. Our mother church, St Chad’s Cathedral, continues to stream daily mass. Click here: Streaming Information
Other links to streamed masses and resources can be found on Faith in Isolation page.